Saturday, October 4, 2008

What was I thinking!!

It has been raining all day and most of the night last night! Our yard is a mud hole right now! Greg and his brother have gone hunting Antelope so that leaves me home with the girls and all of the chores to do! I usually don't mind but this morning I was not the happiest Farm girl on the block (okay I am the only one that lives on my block!) As I am cursing the dang rain, and noisy cows I realized I was the one that said I would extend our summer project! WHAT WAS I THINKING!! So I will back up a little..... This summer Greg thought it would be fun for the girls and I to raise a few baby calves, "it will be some good bonding time for you girls!" said that dear farmer of mine!! Well here is a little calf raising info for you, so you can get a little feel of this project! Baby calves are on bottles for 6 weeks feeding them twice a day, then you feed them once a day for about two more weeks depending on how much grain they are eating. So we started our project with just 4 baby calves which was no problem, it was kind of fun. Well about 4 weeks into it, Greg decides we were doing such a good job he brings us home 9 more for us to start! Well needless to say I didn't talk to him for a few hours..... but when I did I told him WE as in Oakley and I were done with this project as soon as school started!! Well school has started and the summer is over and I'm still feeding baby calves!! I have to confess that the 3rd set that was only to be 12 calve which turned in to 14 calves, the 2 extra live in our dog kennels. Yes it is a site I keep telling Greg that we are starting to look like the Clampets! I'm going to start calling him Jethro! But I did agree to this last set of calves so I guess I need to buck up and quit my whining even if I do slip in the mud and have to climb into the the pig feeder because I can't reach to push the feed down! But what a site it was at the Funny Farm!!













My nephew helping Oakley!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

WOW! you really are a farm girl! That is awesome. Maybe someday I will have to bring my kids down and visit your farm, they would think is was funny to see realy live cows :) Have you read Thepioneerwoman.com I think you could relate.